Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dunnes French Wine Sale 2012


For another change of pace I decided to base my Dunnes French Wine Sale purchases on whatever reviews I could find, mostly online. The initials in parentheses represent the reviewer, and the full reviews are linked to at the end of the post.

Note: I figured I'd better get this review up before the sale is over (25th September). Hopefully the wines you are after are still available. For me the Clotte and the Moulin De Meyran are the ones to go for...

Reds
Chateau de l'Estagnol Cotes Du Rhone 2011 - €7-00  (KE/BC)
Not bad. I bit young and fruity but decent value as priced.

Moulin De Meyran Cotes Du Rhone 2010 - €9-00  (KE)
Much better than the l'Estagnol. Great nose and a lovely full flavour, would get this again at this price. [ I have just picked up a couple more of these, yum]

Chateau Treviac Corbieres 2010 - €10-00 (BC)
Initially a big alcoholic wash and lots of plummy fruit. Resolving into some nice tannins.

Château Millegrand Minervois 2010 - €10-00 (BC)
Hmmm - didn't really care for this. Lots of blackcurrant fruit made it taste like a Cab Sav and not a great one at that. Curious for a Minervois... 

Chateau de Clotte 2010 €13-00 (JW)
Love, love, love this. Have bought some to "cellar" for the future but it's delicious now. Can only find it in Cornelscourt, if you are looking.

Chateau Coucy Montagne St Emilion 2009-  €14-00 (Sunday Business Post?)
I only got one of these and I am "cellaring" it,  hence no review.

Baron de Baussac Carignan Vielles Vignes 2011 -  €7-00 (JW)
Very big and fruity in a New World way. Too much for me.

Whites
Chateau Fonfroide 2011 - €7-00 (KE)
Opened this finally to have with my (Jamie's) famous Salmon fish cakes (which I had forgotten to season - D'oh!). This was really tasty; light and refreshing and great value as priced.

Blake Creedon (BC) Irish Examiner  - review here
Kevin Ecock  (KE) First Press blog - review here
John Wilson (JW) Irish Times - review here

No comments:

Post a Comment