Friday, July 20, 2012

Well, I'm back (from Lidl)...


So I've been home for about a month now, and the question that has been exercising my tiny mind is whether to resume blogging or not. Given that I no longer have the hellish commute and the associated pressure of a high profile project delivery (the fact that you didn't read about this migration in the papers is a sign of success), the assumption was that I'd start back blogging on my return.

However, when it came down to it, I wasn't sure I wanted to. Call it an existential crisis if you like, but I'm not sure what I'm bringing to the party anymore. To alleviate this dreadful ennui I sallied forth to my local Lidl with a view to picking up some cheap reds with the hope of jump-starting my blogging motor (see picture above). Alas, this didn't work.

On Sunday, however, my faith was restored (sort of). Someone whose wine palate I respect, asked when I was going to resume blogging, and it was enough. If one of my tens of readers wants more, then, by FSM, I shall provide.

To that end let's discuss the three Lidl wines above. I purposely avoided the very cheap stuff, electing to sample the "mid priced" reds (€6 - €8), one from each of France, Spain and Italy.

Let's start with the cheapest and work up...

Lidl Cotes Du Rhone AOC Villages 2011  €5-99. Meh. Not bad, drinkable but not great and with a slightly astringent finish. Should be fine with food but not fab on its own.


Lidl Chianti DOCG Riserva 2008 €6-99. Better, not quite what you'd expect from a moderately priced Chianti from the supermarket but, at this price you could do a lot worse. Some nice cherry flavours and decent balance.

Cepa Lebrel Reserva Rioja 2007  €7-49. Now we're talking. This was a lovely wine with some lovely soft vanilla flavours. Tasted like a much more expensive Rioja (c €15) so a steal as priced. Note: They also have the Crianza and Joven versions from this producer but they are not much cheaper so I don't know why one wouldn't plump for the Reserva...

BTW - I have mostly drinking FinkBrau Pils, also from Lidl, €3-99 for 6x33cl bottles, 4.9% abv. Very crisp and clean and cheap(ish) to boot.

I'm not sure how often I'm going to blog from now on, but rest assured, I still have plenty more waffly, deluded and sometimes frankly boring opinions to share on wine, beer and whisk(e)y.

Next Up - Something completely different...

5 comments:

  1. Great to see you back, Willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back :-) June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Willies Wine Blog!
    Why buy the Joven from Cepra Lebrel you ask? (you did, didn't you..?) Because it's very, very good and I reckon Better Value than the Reserva. Now there's a conundrum.
    Currently my rule of thumb with regards to Lidl is to enjoy the value but stay away from their Australians!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Folks...
    @kevin - Will try the Joven next time I'm there.
    BTW - I had the 2010 Vacqueyras from Lidl (about €10) and it was very, very good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kevin - I bought the Joven and brought it on hols and drank it. May have been in an alcoholic haze as have no memory of drinking it! Will buy some more now that I am back...
    Willie

    ReplyDelete