Monday, June 28, 2010

So far so average...

To date we've had the first two of the four reds I got in Sainsbury's last week.

We started with the Sainsbury's Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2009 which cost a whopping £3-49. Throw in the exchange rate and you're looking at a wine that would cost approx. €4-50 down here, so expectations were low. This wasn't bad. It was medium bodied, fruity in a slightly cheap and fizzy way, but perfectly drinkable. I don't think I'd serve it to guests, but as a cheap (the operative word) everyday drinking wine it is perfectly fine.

Next up was the Piccini Chianti Superiore 2008 - this cost me £7-99, which is pretty good given that I saw the standard (green label) Chianti in Tesco for €15-99 today. Unfortunately this was corked. I'm not an expert in detecting this taint but I knows it when I tastes it, and this was tainted. Apparently you can remove TCA (the chemical responsible for the taint) with Cling Film (other brands are available).

Lastly we also popped open a Montana Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2009 over the un-seasonably warm weekend, Herself has gone mad for NZ Sauv Blanc so this was the latest version to be sampled. Also, this was a present so I can't quote a price, but I'd say it retails for around the €13 mark. I have to say I really enjoyed this, initially I though it a bit light and fruity but it grew on me as I sat on my fat ass in the sun, eating delicious cheesy NI-sourced Quavers.

Next up - A Whiskey Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment