Friday, June 18, 2010

In the nick of time..

As I promised, I made my way down to the Superquinn New World wine sale today. As expected, most of it is cheap, fruity, lowest common denominator wine I wouldn't buy even heavily discounted, but I was intrigued by a new Aussie producer Dandelion Vineyards , who had a variety of wines on show including a very unusual grape pairing of Shiraz and Riesling.

When I got there, there didn't appear to be any of this left but after badgering the (helpful) staff I found a few bottles on a shelf. I guess I'm not the only one attracted to this unusual pairing. Given the 3 for €20 deal, I grabbed two of the Shiraz/Riesling and one Pinot Grigio from the same producer, which I have just sampled and its very pleasant and "Italian" in style as I was told in the shop.

More tomorrow on the unusual hybrid which I am decanting now.

3 comments:

  1. If still available, try the Santa Rita Floresta - €10 - bloddy good drop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see if when I was down there, but i was in kind of a hurry. Will have a proper look next time.

    Willies

    ReplyDelete
  3. They still had around 7 half-cases of the Floresta Sauvignon Blanc yesterday if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete