Sunday, November 22, 2009

Birthday Wine I

As I mentioned in my last post, I got a selection of fine wines from three of my siblings, I have divided them up into three groups.


Old World Whites (L-R)

Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos Saint-Jean 2005 - I've had a number of Montrachets over the years including a particularly fine one the day after my wedding, whose name escapes me, and have always enjoyed them. Again am looking forward to this.

Meursault "En la Barre" 2001 Francois Jobard - I love white burgundy but have never had a Meursault, my bad. Looking forward to this a lot and will wait for a special occasion.


Old World Reds (L-R)

Corton Clos Du Roi Grand Cru 2006 - A very, very fine Burgundy, 91 points from Wine Spectator, will keep this for a while, methinks.

Scala dei Cartoixa Priorat 2005 - I have always wanted to try a Priorat, having heard great things about this boutique, low volume Spaniard from Catalonia. Am drinking it as I type, yum, review to follow.

Torresilo Ribera Del Duero 2006 - Even though we are sort of a Rioja family, I have always had a soft spot of Riberas. One we will drink soon.

Amarone della Valpolicella Vignetti di Marcellise 2006 - Another one of my fave wines, Amarone. I, being cheap, normally go for the poor man's Amarone, Valpolicalla Ripapsso, so hey, bonus.


New World Reds (L-R)

Norton Privada 2006 - Grandad D got me into Norton a number of years ago . They make a pretty decent entry level Malbec that I have drunk gallons of. The privada is a premium version, with Cab Sav & Merlot added, so am expecting good things here.

Tapanappa Whalebone Vineyard Cabernet Shiraz 2004 - This sounds very interesting, an Ozzie Cabernet Shiraz that is selling itself on the basis of its terroir, which is unusual for a New world wine, BE needs to be here for this one.

Domus Aurea Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 - This is supposed to be a huge beast of a wine and one of Chile's best. I have had mixed results with Chile in the past, most of what I have tasted has been cheap & fruity and not for me but this looks quality, again terroir is being promoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment